[b-greek] Re: Eph. 1:17 Function of EN

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 10:27:42 EST

<x-flowed>

At 04:23 31/01/01, you wrote:

>hINA hO QEOS TOU KURIOU hHMWN IHSOU CRISTOU, hO PATHR THS DOXHS, DWHi
>hUMIN PNEUMA SOFIAS KAI APOKALUPSEWS EN EPIGNWSEI AUTOU
>
>While a number of options seem possible to me (e.g. reference: "with
>regards to knowing him", reason: "because you know him"), I was suprised
>to find two translations that treat this as indicating purpose or
>result.
>
>NIV: "so that you might know him better"
>TEV: "so that you will know him"
>
>I was not aware that EN could indicate purpose or result. Is this
>possible?

hINA hO QEOS TOU KURIOU hHMWN IHSOU CRISTOU, hO PATHR THS DOXHS, DWHi hUMIN
PNEUMA SOFIAS KAI APOKALUPSEWS EN EPIGNWSEI AUTOU

>While a number of options seem possible to me (e.g. reference: "with
>regards to knowing him", reason: "because you know him"), I was suprised
>to find two translations that treat this as indicating purpose or
>result.
>
>NIV: "so that you might know him better"
>TEV: "so that you will know him"
>
>I was not aware that EN could indicate purpose or result. Is this
>possible?

James:
The "purpose or result" is indicated by hINA. ( which is why the verb is in
the subjunctive ). And the RSV translation expresses not only this, but
also the purpose of EN
" may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of
him, "

As to EN EPIGNWSEI, this phrase appears in Ro. 1:28, which is usually
translated on the lines of " as they did not see fit to acknowledge God ".
But as Fitzmyer points out:
" lit: ' they did not see fit to keep God in mind ". And Fitzmyer goes on
to point out that " Paul uses the comparative conjunction KATHWS in a
causal sense " with a reference to BDF s.453.2

At Col. 2:2 you will find EIS EPIGNWSIN, on which Louw-Nida comments:
>>(an idiom, literally `to come into knowledge') to acquire information
about something, with emphasis upon the process involved - `to learn about,
to find out, to come to know<<

Given the looseness of LXX and Koine usage where EN and EIS are concerned (
they are not as rigidly distinguished as text-books might lead you to
believe ) I suggest you just have to accept " an idiom " as an answer.<g>
After all, as BDF points out:
  "Where between the two extremes do the NT documents belong, to the
everyday idiom reflected in the papyrus letters, or to the Atticized
literary monuments? By and large it may be said that _the language of the
NT authors is nearer to the simple popular language_ ."

Regards
Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie