[b-greek] Re: Grammatical question in Rom 4.1

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 08:47:44 EST

Dear bgreekers,
after I posted my message, a new thought occurred to me.

Can we parse Rom 4.1 as follows?
Rom 4:1 TI OUN? EROUMEN EUREKENAI ABRAHAM TON PROPATORA HMWN
> KATA SARKA?

We might translate it as follows:

(a)
What then? Shall we say to have found Abraham our forefather
                                      according to flesh?
(b)
What then? Shall we say to have found Abraham to be our forefather
                                      according to flesh?

Though (a) and (b) are not grammatical in English, they convey the
intended idea, I guess.

Are both possible? If so, which one would be better?

Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea