[b-greek] RE: John 20:28 and Augustine

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 11:27:09 EST

<x-flowed>
At 11:37 05/02/01, "Alex / Ali" <alexali@surf.net.au> wrote:

>and then seeing the risen Lord, who tells her not to touch him;

Well, it is certainly news to me that that the " noli me tangere " on
which Augustine relied is an accurate rendering of MH MOU hAPTOU.

Dodd [ "Interpretation " ] pointed out the distinction between the present
imperative
[ to hold, grasp, cling ] and the aorist imperative [ to touch ] meaning
of this verb, Zerwick [ Biblical Greek: Illustrated by Examples ] ( at s.
497 translates it " do not cling to me "
[as in NRSV, NJB, RSV = "do not hold me ", and NAB = "Stop holding on to me" ]
and Brown [ Brown, Raymond E. The Gospel According to John. 2 vols. London:
Geoffrey Chrapman, 1966.] is unusually acerbic ( vol. 2 p. 992 ) in
examining various explanations of why it should be translated " do not
touch me ", dismissing them as ranging from " the utterly banal" to "
fanciful ".

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie