[b-greek] RE: "Standard" word orders are cumbersome

From: Iver Larsen (alice-iver_larsen@wycliffe.org)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 09:14:23 EST

Dear Mark,

I just want to say thank you for this further explanation of your position. I
agree with what you are saying here. I prefer to think of the general principle
of "relative prominence" in Greek combined with the general principle that left
fronting of a constituent implies relatively more prominence, IF there is a
choice of constituent order. There are obviously some constraints on constituent
order that must be taken into account and the semantic content of the
constituent as well as its syntactical function are factors, too. I did discover
recently that the most common constituent order in Greek arthrous NPs in the NT
varies significantly according to the author. In Mark, John's Gospel and
Revelation an adjective in most cases follows the head noun. In Matthew it is
the opposite. The adjective almost always precedes the head noun. The rest of
the books have a tendency to have the adjective precede the noun, but not as
pronounced as in Matthew. I assume this might reflect the author's familiarity
with Greek as well as Semitic influence. It appears that in the kind of Greek
than Paul and Luke wrote the most common order is that the adjective precedes
the head noun. When I say adjective here, I use it in the restricted sense of
descriptive adjectives.

Thanks,

Iver Larsen