[b-greek] Re: Perfect participle in Eph. 1:18

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 06:53:58 EST

At 12:31 AM -0500 2/11/01, Moon-Ryul Jung wrote:
>Carl, I looked at the archive about Eph 1:18. It was such an interesting
>thread. There is an issue to be resolved to clearly understand
>what is going on here.
>
>You said:
>
>[Carl]
>My own understanding of the basic phrase here, PEFWTISMENOUS
>TOUS OFQALMOUS, is that it is appositional to the primary object of the
>verb DWHi in vs. 17: "eyes of your heart(s) illuminated so that you know
>=2E.." is an appositive to PNEUMA SOFIAS KAI APOKALUJEWS EN EPIGNWSEI
>AUTOU,
>an alternative way of saying the same thing. So: "May God ... grant you a
>spirit (that is) wise and enlightened (by revelation) in understanding
>him,
>(that is) eyes of your heart (that are) illumined so that you know what is
>the hope ..."
>I can't see any reason why we should not
>understand TOUS OFQALMOUS as the noun with which PEFWTISMENOUS agrees, and
>understand the positioning of PEFWTISMENOUS ahead of TOUS OFQALMOUS as
>rhetorical for emphasis.
>
>[Moon]
>The issue is whether the participle PEFWISMENOUS is attributive or
>predicative. Your rendering takes it to be attributive. But even if
>it were TOUS OFQALMOUS PEFWTISMENOUS, we better consider
>the participle predicative unless there is a compelling reason
>against it. Here we have PEFWTISMENOUS TOUS OFQALMOUS. I do not see
>how the participle here is attributive.
>
>Taking PEFWTISMENOUS as predicative, we may render as follows:
>
> May God ... grant you a
> spirit (that is) wise and enlightened (by revelation) in understanding
> him, [with] the eyes of your heart having been illumined,
> so that you know what is the hope ..."
>
>So, then, the clause PEFWTISMENOUS TOUS OFQALMOUS describes
>the circumstance or the result of the main clause.
>
>What would be the rationale for taking the participle here
>as attributive, which is placed in front of the articular noun
>for emphasis>

I don't know what anything of what you've cited, Moon, indicates that i
PEFWTISMENOUS to be ATTRIBUTIVE in relationship to OFQALMOUS. In fact I've
always thought it in relationship to DWHi, so that DWHi PEFWTISMENOUS is
equivalent in meaning to FWTISHi, i.e. "grant your eyes to be fully
illuminated" = "make your eyes full of light" Of course there's no article
here, but it does seem to me that the participle PEFWTISMENOUS completes
the sense of DWHi in that second clause.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu