[b-greek] Re: adj. or adv. in James 2:24

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 10:35:33 EST

At 12:34 AM -0500 2/12/01, Moon-Ryul Jung wrote:
>> Mark wrote...
>>
>> James 2:24
>>
>> > hORATE TOINUN hOTI EX ERGWN DIKAIOUTAI ANQRWPOS
>> > KAI OUK EK PISTEWS MONON
>>
>> > "and not only (justified) by faith."
>> > --------------------------------------
>>
>> Moon wrote...
>>
>> > Here adverb MONON modifies adverb EK PISTEWS. We can
>> > render as follows:
>> >
>> > and not (justified) only by faith.
>>
>> [Alan]
>> I think Mark's suggestion preserves the TWO
>> JUSTIFICATIONS being contrasted; Moon's translation
>> seems to be viewing ONE JUSTIFICATION from 'two
>> different ways.' James is not disputing a
>> justification by faith (vs 23). (Note only that James
>> quotes from Gen. 15 in this verse, not Gen. 22)
>>
>> I tentatively would opt for the implied verb as Mark's
>> translation has it, but also wonder ...
>>
>> From a grammatical view, is there any material
>> difference had MONON preceded the prepositional
>> phrase?
>>
>[Moon]
>OU MONON EK PISTEWS makes OU negate MONON
>so that the rendering would be:
>
>and (justified) not only by faith.
>
>This in fact conveys the same as Mark's rendering:
> and not only (justified) by faith.
>
>The above analysis seems to imply that the rendering of
>the original as "and not (justified) only by faith"
>the intended meaning.

Am I missing something here? I think that Moon is right to say that MONON
governs/limits EK PISTEWS in this instance, but even if the elements were
to be arranged as OU MONON EK PISTEWS, the OU would STILL be governing the
implicit verb DIKAIOUTAI and the meaning would, I believe, still be the
same, as Alan asserted.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu
cwconrad@ioa.com
http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/