[b-greek] Re: OUDE in 1 Timothy 2:12

From: CEP7@aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 00:27:07 EST

In a message dated 2/16/01 4:09:09 PM, dwashbur@nyx.net writes:

<< I'm playing with an idea about this verse, and I think the language
can bear it, but I want to get some additional input. I'm wondering
if the OUDE, "nor," might have some explanatory force, "that is to
say." A tentative translation with this sense would be something
along the lines of "I do not permit a woman to teach, which is to
say, to assume authority over a man etc." The idea I'm heading for
is one of arbitrarily placing herself in authority, rather than taking a
teaching role by mutual consent as seems to be the case with
Priscilla and Apollos in Acts.

Is this idea about OUDE completely off the wall, or might it have
some merit? Thoughts? >>

I think this is possible. OUDE also seems to have epexegetical force in the
following passages: Isa 42:24; Ezek 44:13; DanTh 5:8; Pol. Hist. 30.5.8.4-6;
Jos. Ant. 6.20.3-5; Rom 2:28; 3:10; 1 Cor 5:1; 15:50.

Charles E. Powell, Ph.D.
(h) cep7@aol.com
(w) cpowell@dts.edu
(h) 972-231-4166