[b-greek] hUSTERA and hUSTEREW

From: JKandJWilk@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 08:26:47 EST

<x-html>
<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>As a physician, my first exposure to ancient greek was through medical words;
<BR>specifically the greek hUSTERA, meaning womb/uterus as in hysterectomy and
<BR>hysteria (a mental condition originally thought to be limited to women and
<BR>caused by the womb wandering through the abdomen). &nbsp;When I began to learn
<BR>biblical greek, I was struck by the similarity of forms of hUSTEREW, meaning
<BR>to lack something (cf. John 2.3 KAI hUSTERHSANTOS OINOU, LEGEI hH MHTHR TOU
<BR>IHSOU...) &nbsp;and hUSTERHMA, meaning poverty (used to describe the state of the
<BR>widow in Luke 21:4, ...hAUTH DE EK TOU hUSTERHMATOS AUTHS PANTA TON BION hON
<BR>EICEN EBALEN). &nbsp;Does anyone know if somehow the words for uterus and for
<BR>poverty/lacking share some distant derivative? &nbsp;If so, what is the connection
<BR>between them and how did a uterus become associated with poverty?
<BR>
<BR>James S. Wilk, MD [New list-members please note: a full
<BR>signature is required by list protocol to be appended to
<BR>messages to the list.]</FONT>
---<BR>
B-Greek home page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [
jwrobie@mindspring.com]<BR>