[b-greek] RE: pistis + noun(genitive)

From: Ethan Metsger (ethanm@ccil.org)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 13:33:01 EST

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Iver Larsen wrote:

> At least I found the following occurrences of pistis + genitive noun:
> Acts 3:16, (14:9), Rom 3:22, 26, Gal 2:16, 3:22, Phil 3:9, James 2:1,
> Rev 14:12

Some commentary about the subjective/objective genetive in relationship to
PISTIS in Galatians can be found in a text by Richard Hayes, called "The
Faith of Christ." I don't know that it will have universal bearing on
anyone's personal study throughout Scripture, but he does address a few of
the difficulties in translation and may provide some insight into the
matter. I believe the work is a dissertation, and probably not widely
available. My copy is actually 450 miles away at the moment, otherwise
I'd happily supply the appropriate information.

It should probably be noted that Hayes is a proponent of the subjective
position (i.e., that the faith is Christ's), and has been a relatively
prolific author on the subject.

-Ethan Metsger (ethanm@ccil.org) (http://www.ccil.org/~ethanm/)