[b-greek] Heb 6:4-5 and meaning of FWTIZW

From: Kimmo Huovila (kimmo.huovila@helsinki.fi)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 12:06:53 EST

Hebr. 6:4-5: "ADUNATON GAR TOUS hAPAX FWTISQENTAS, GEUSAMENOUS TE THS
DWREAS THS EPOURANIOU KAI METOCOUS GENHQENTAS PNEUMATOS hAGIOU KAI KALON
GEUSAMENOUS QEOU hRHMA DUNAMEIS TE MELLONTOS AIWNOS"

Levinsohn writes (Discourse Features of NT Greek:106-7):"TE solitarium,
in contrast, adds distinct propositions that are characterized by
sameness, in the sense that they refer to different aspects of the same
event, the same occasion, or the same pragmatic unit."

1) Should we take the first TE as a TE solitarium? I know there are
following KAIs, but we could think of the KAIs as connecting different
entities covered all by this one TE. Thus the construction would not be
TE ... KAI but TE (P KAI P KAI P), where P stands for a participle with
its dependents.
2) If so, would the TE be a hint that to be FWTISQEIS is to be
GEUSAMENOS..KAI ..GENHQEIS..KAI GEUSAMENOS...? In other words, does this
FWTISQHNAI mean to have the following experiences?

Kimmo Huovila