[b-greek] Conditional Imperatives

From: Alan B. Thomas (a_b_thomas@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 14:50:32 EST

Conditional Imperatives

Has anyone done studies on the Conditional Imperative
to the extent
that they might offer a more workable gloss (glosses)
than
the one suggested by Wallace?

For example:

Matt 7.7
AITEITE KAI DOQHSETAI hUMIN

Here, Wallace suggests (pg. 490 GGBB) that the idea
is:

"If you ask (and you should), then..."

However, the next two examples do not seem to fit this
added gloss:

Matt 8.8
MONON EIPE LOGWi KAI IAQHSETAI hO PAIS MOU

"Just say the word, then..."
[Just say the word (and you should)??]

John 2.19
LUSATE TON NAON TOUTON KAI EN TRISEN hHMERAIS EGERW
AUTON

"Destroy this temple and..."
[Destroy this temple (and you should)??]

Jas 4.7
ANTISTHTE TWi DIABOLWi KAI FEUXETAI AF' hUMWN

Now, the gloss once again makes sense:

"Resist the devil and he will..."
[Resist the devil (and you should)]

It does seem to me that each Conditional Imperative
follows more so the idea
behind a quasi "first class" condition. Perhaps with
the slightly expanded gloss:

"If, for instance, you do X, and lets assume you do,
then...." However, I must admit,
my gloss does little to suggest an imperatival idea.

I think the one making the request and to whom is
significant. For example,
the servant in Matt 8.8 is requesting that the master
"say the word." One would
not think of a servant approaching his/her master in
such a disrespectful manner.

Additionally, the John 2 passage (Destroy this temple)
is hardly a command,
perhaps better to be understood as a warning.

And finally, Acts 16.31
PISTEUSON EPI TON KURION

Here, a lexical issue must be raised. We generally do
not think of
commanding someone to "believe," since belief must
first be
preceded by persuasion. [I would command in vain if I
were to
say, "Believe in the Tooth Fairy."]

Yet, the gentle "If you believe (and you should),
then" seems to minimize
the imperatival nature of Paul's response to the
jailer.

Any general observations on the Conditional Imperative
would
be most welcome.

=====
Sincerely,

Alan B. Thomas

"Actually, there was no final "s" on "toward," but
now it's acceptable. Languages just change."