[b-greek] Decker on Olsen

From: Randall Buth (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 05:31:02 EST

shalom Mark and Rodney
>Mark egrapsen:
>What Decker needs to do is find a few Imperfects that cannot INCLUDE
>a reference to the past AT ALL, but must be ONLY non-past referring.
>
>My observation,

I would add that non-cancelability is unicorn. Rodney also compared verbs
to cases in his paper.
Fine--consider that the five noun categories CERTAINLY map to multiple
semantic roles.
Proto-type theory is a way out of non-cancelability deadends.

Also--when comparing present imperfective and imperfect imperfective,
'remoteness' is much too weak an explanation, especially with the extremely
high 99+% correlation of imperfect with minus-future and plus-past. There
really doesnt' seem to be any question that the idicatives prototypically
code for tense in addition to aspect.

Sorry to be cryptic but i'm off to class.

errwsqe
Randall Buth
Jerusalem