[b-greek] Re: BDAG reviews?

From: Rodney J. Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 16:04:19 EST

<x-flowed>
At 10:39 AM 2/28/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Has anyone seen a review of BDAG yet, either in print or on the web? I'm

The only items that I've found thus far (to begin an answer to my own
question!), are the blurbs/reviews on Amazon.com, including two from our
own list members:

>This is the most authoritative lexicon for NT Greek, September 30, 1997
>Reviewer: jwrobie@mindspring.com (see more about me) from Durham, NC
>This is the standard Greek lexicon for New Testament studies. I find that
>it takes longer to use than Louw and Nida, but gives a more mature
>understanding. It gives many more examples, and also points out
>grammatical features of the words, which can be extremely helpful. This
>lexicon does not attempt to give you a full dictionary definition;
>instead, it tries to give you the data to allow you to develop your own.
>For a comparison of the standard lexicons for New Testament Greek, see
>"http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie/littleGreek.html"

>Positive Review of the 3rd edition of Bauer, December 13, 2000
>Reviewer: Kevin W. Woodruff from Tennessee Temple University/Temple
>Baptist Seminary, Chattanooga, TN USA
>Like the the biblical pearl of great price, the only advice I can give
>is,"Go sell all that you have" and get this newest edition of the
>venerable Bauer, Arndt, Gingrich, and Danker! This edition includes much
>longer definitions rather than the simple glosses that have been used by
>the previous two editions. The typography has been greatly improved and it
>makes this edition much more user-friendly. Frederick Danker is worthy of
>the kudoes that will be coming his way in his magisterial revision of this
>indispensable tool for any minister, seminarian, theological student,
>professor, teacher or Biblical scholar. This will be standard Greek
>lexicon for the next two decades. Even if you have BAGD, you'll want to
>get this edition (now known as BDAG). The improvements alone are worth the
>purchase price.

I have just posted a "preliminary notice" of BDAG on my web site, to be
followed by a more complete, formal review at a later date. A version of
this will appear in our Seminary's journal in the spring issue (the
deadline for which was this afternoon!); hopefully the formal review will
follow in the fall issue. The link to the present review is on my NT
Resources page (see URL in sig below).

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D. Baptist Bible Seminary
Assoc. Prof./NT PO Box 800, Clarks Summit, PA 18411
rdecker@bbc.edu http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/
XNS Universal Address: =RodDecker
The *Resources for NT Study* site is accessible at:
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_rsrc.htm