[b-greek] Re: go AND make

From: Alan B. Thomas (a_b_thomas@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 14:18:14 EST

Paul responded to an astute observation by Carl...

> Yes, and some of us learned this phenomenon by the
> label of attendant
> circumstantial participle. It does seem, however,
> that the KJ
> translators minimized this, while modern
> translations are recognizing it

It is not uncommon to translate/interpret a Greek
sentence using English grammar, as I think the
Attendant Circumstantial (AC) ptc often does,
especially in this text. The AC tends to give equal
weight to the ptc and verb, which I think is quite
foreign to a Greek writer's conception. Often the
Greek AC ptc functions parenthetically, as a brief
clarification to the verb (almost as a footnote).

Which is demonstrated in your next section...

> On another front, it does seem the KJ translators
> tended to render the
> aorist participle with a main verb as denoting
> action antecedent to the
> action of the main verb, while modern translators
> are tending to minimize
> that significance. Acts 19:2 comes to mind (among
> others). The KJ
> has, "Have ye received the Holy Spirit since ye
> believed?" Here the
> aorist participle does follow the main verb, ELABETE
> PISTEUSANTES. is
> that significant, versus preceding it? At any rate,
> most modern
> translations render the aorist participle here
> coincidentally with the
> action of the main verb, "Did you receive the Holy
> Spirit when you
> believed?" (NASB, NIV), or "when you became
> believers" (NRSV,NAB), etc.

The concern is the RECEIVING of the Holy Spirit (the
reception associated with believing). The focus here
is not on "believing" (which is almost parenthetical,
used to clarify the main idea expressed in the verb),
and not even so much as "when" this believing took
place. [It might logically precede the verb, as here,
but to dig too deep into the AC ptc may cause
confusion never intended by the Greek writer.]

Of concern is whether or not they had RECEIVED the
Holy Spirit. If there is still an element of vagueness
here, a Greek could double check the footnote (the AC
ptc, which would function to "clarify" the verb if
needed). I suspect most Greeks paid little attention
to the footnote if the context is well presented by
the writer.

Also, in these cases, the AC ptc describes a NECESSARY
condition that must be associated with the verb. There
can be no reception of the Holy Spirit without a
belief; there can be no making disciples unless one
first departs.

At any rate, that's my take on the AC ptc.

=====
Sincerely,

Alan B. Thomas

"Actually, there was no final "s" on "toward," but
now it's acceptable. Languages just change."