[b-greek] Re: Pros Ton

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 19:19:50 EST

At 03:18 PM 3/12/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Has anyone found a link to the phrase "pros ton theon" in John 1:1-4.

What exactly do you mean by "link"?

> This
>seems to indicate a reflective quality, like viewing oneself in a mirror.

pros with the accusative has a pretty good range of meaning: "of place-
towards". Its used with verbs of sending, of motion in general, of leading
or guiding, of saying or speaking, of asking or praying. When used of time
it denotes approach toward. Of the goal aimed at or striven for, it denotes
"for, for the purpose of, on behalf of. It also indicates a connection
"with reference to" which is how I take it here. The Logos was, with
reference to God, God himself.

I don't see how it could be rendered reflexively as you seem to indicate but
perhaps I am missing something.

>Does this make sense to anyone, or am I missing something? Thanks for your
>help.

I think that the preposition is best understood as above-- "The Logos was,
with reference to God, God himself"... etc.

hope this helps

Jim

Jim West, ThD

Home Page: