[b-greek] Re: EGW EIMI in Isaiah 47:8,10

From: Dave Washburn (dwashbur@nyx.net)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2001 - 17:19:47 EST

> At 01:47 PM 3/12/01 -0500, you wrote:
> >One important point to recollect is that the LXX was not to be translated
> >for about 500 years after Isaiah was written. So we must guard against
> >anachronisms.
> >
> >Sincerely,
> >Wes Williams
>
> Which part of Isaiah predates roughly 700 BCE? If i recall, the oldest
> copies in Greek from the area of the Dead Sea date to the second century
> BCE. Third Isaiah was composed sometime after the exile-- roughly 450 BCE.
> Second Isaiah was perhaps composed a century earlier... and first Isaiah
> (1-39) was most likely compiled around 590 or so...

These are all based on assumption, and that's about it. Recent
arguments for the unity of Isaiah have called the whole thing into
question, and dating is always an iffy business. So it's really not
possible to make these statements with any kind of certainty.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
violated." C. S. Lewis