[b-greek] Re: hUPER TWN ONTWN

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 14:25:54 EST

At 2:13 PM -0500 3/20/01, Justin Richmond wrote:
>Hello
>
>I'm having trouble with my reader. It isn't a passage from the Bible so
>Zerwick (I'm assuming) won't have it. The passage is, "POQEN ARXOMEQA
>ARTOUS hEUREIN hIKANOUS hUPER TWN ONTWN hWDE" where Q=theta and X=xi. It's
>the "hUPER TWN ONTWN" I'm having trouble with: the "TWN ONTWN" because I
>don't know what it means and I can't find it in my lexicons, and the
>"hUPER" because of context ("from where shall we begin to find bread
>sufficient 'hUPER TWN ONTWN' here). Please help
>J.D. Richmond

I'd like to know where this is supposed to come from; it looks very much
like Greek made up by a modern to me. Nevertheless the meaning has to be
"for those who are here"; hWDE must be understood with ONTWN in this
expression, although it seems to me that more natural word order would be
hUPER TWN hWDE ONTWN and that the more natural expression would be hUPER
TWN PARONTWN to convey the idea "for the ones here present."

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu