[b-greek] Re: Luke 4:35

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 16:02:52 EST

At 10:26 AM -0800 3/22/01, Kenneth Litwak wrote:
>In Luke 3:35, one reads
>MHDEN BLAYAN )AUTON
>
> I'm trying to decide if this should be understood
>with MHDEN as the subject, "No one, i.e., the demon,
>having harmed him, or if it should be seen as a
>modifier of the verb, "Having hurt him none, or in no
>way (though I don't know what kind of accusative this
>would be). Is it nominative or accusative? It
>certainly makes more sense to me as an accusative, but
>in my experience with Greek, what makes sense tto me
>as a translator is irrelevant.

KAI hRIYAN AUTON TO DAIMONION EIS TO MESON EXHLQEN AP' AUTOU MHDEN BLAYCAN
AUTON.

No, TO DAIMONION is obviously the subject of EXHLQEN and both aorist neuter
participles, hRIYAN and BLAYAN depend upon it; MHDEN is adverbial
accusative construed with BLAYAN, "after doing no harm" = "after harming
not at all."

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu