[b-greek] RE: Greek Idioms

From: Dave Washburn (dwashbur@nyx.net)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 12:30:54 EST

> Porter's book is an intermediate grammar. It really isn't concerned with
> 'idioms'. Since he named his work after Moule's, I am guessing Moule's is
> also not about Idioms in the common use of the word (Porter's Introduction
> implies this), but I have not read Moule.

Back in college I reviewed Moule for my Greek professor. I found
the title curious, because basically it's a collection of observations
on various constructions and uses of different moods etc. I
suppose the reason he called it and Idiom Book is because, if he
called it "A Collection Of Observations on Various Constructions
and Uses of Different Moods, Cases, etc." the title wouldn't have fit
on the cover :-)

I don't know of a book that actually treats *idioms* in Greek in any
detail. One apparent idiom that comes to my mind is OUK EN
TIMHi in Colossians 2, which means "are of no value." The same
expression occurs in Xenophon's "Anabasis" which is how I
discovered that it was an apparently idiomatic use of TIMH. A
book that treats such idioms would be a very useful tool indeed.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
violated." C. S. Lewis