[b-greek] Greek Idioms

From: Wayne Leman (wleman@mcn.net)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 10:42:36 EST

Peter said:

> It just struck me that there's not much wrong with Moule's title since
> "idiom", in English, can refer either to "idiomatic expressions" - such as
> the ones on Wayne's list - or to language patterns as a whole -OED has
four
> definitions for it only one of which fits the definition of idiomatic
> expressions which convey some meaning other than a literal one.

This is quite true, Peter. However, there has been movement in English usage
of the term "idiom" toward restricting it to just the linguistic definition
of an idiom. I do not know of any list of such idioms in the Greek NT and I
think it is important to have such a list. Hence, my beginning efforts.
FWIW, linguistic professor Benware, in his article "Rom. 1.17 and Cognitive
Grammar" (posted on the website of the Bible Translation website, see
address in my reply to John MacLauchlan), calls EK PISTEWS EIS PISTIN an
idiom.

> It seems
> that the topic that has been raised on the list is that of "idiomatic
> expressions" rather than "idioms" per se.

Wayne
---
Wayne Leman
Bible translation site: http://www.geocities.com/bible_translation/