[b-greek] Re: ude 7

From: Paul Schmehl (p.l.schmehl@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 11:31:59 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim West" <jwest@highland.net>
To: "Biblical Greek" <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Cc: <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2001 9:14 AM
Subject: [b-greek] Re: ude 7

[snip]

> would you have us believe that every occurance of a word always carries
the
> same meaning? Does context mean nothing? Does "light" always mean "not
> heavy, not obese"? Given your supposition about Tamar are you suggesting
> that every occurance of ekporneuw results in pregnancy? You must, since
you
> imply that words always mean the same thing in spite of context.

Would you have *us* believe that you can stretch the semantic domain of a
word to fit whatever beliefs you may have? I think you've been given more
than ample evidence that the word is used of sexual immorality, "whoring"
both in a literal and a figurative sense, and similar sexual "sins". No
matter how you stretch it, push it, pull it or compress it, you cannot get
"inhospitality" out of the word.

The only question that remains is, do we take the word(s) for what they
mean? Or do we try to force them to say what we'd like them to say? I get
the distinct impression that you are attempting the latter.

Paul Schmehl
p.l.schmehl@worldnet.att.net
http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/