[b-greek] Gender...What!?

From: Wayne Leman (Wayne_Leman@SIL.ORG)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 10:29:53 EST

<Wayne>
> > For myself, until I can see evidence that EPISKOPHS is *not* both
> > morphologically and lexically parallel to EPISKOPOS, I prefer to go
strictly
> > with the text and assume that EPISKOPHS is referring to someone being a
> > female overseer (which, in this case, means an overseer who is a female,
not
> > an overseer of females). I am definitely open to linguistic evidence
that
> > might tilt us toward one or more of the above options.
> >
> > Still "ducking,"
>
> No tomatoes, brother Wayne.

Thanks, Iver! :-)

> But according to Bauer the verb OREGW which only
> occurs in Medium in the GNT is constructed with a genitive as object.

Correct

> The
> underlying sense is "stretching to reach" (in order to get hold of
something).
> The two other places it occurs in the GNT it is also constructed with a
genitive
> object (1 Tim 6:10, Heb 11:16).
> There are good grammatical reasons, then, for taking EPISKOPHS to be the
> genitive

Correct

> of the noun EPISKOPH
>which refers to the process or state of looking at
> someone from a higher position and also intervening and doing something to
help
> the people one is "looking" at.
>
> Have you found any grammar, parser or lexicon that takes EPISKOPHS as a
> nominative feminine noun, parallel to EPISKOPOS?

Yes:

Barclay Newman's lexicon at the back of UBS GNT cites EPISKOPHS as the
genitive of the feminine noun EPISKOPH. It was my error to say that
EPISKOPHS and EPISKOPOS were exactly parallel. I was assuming that EPISKOPHS
was in the nominative case like EPISKOPOS. It is true, as you say, that the
nominative of EPISKOPHS is EPISKOPH.

Also, the Friberg AGNT parses EPISKOPHS in 1 Tim 3:1 as noun, genitive,
feminine, singular.

I hope you don't mind, but I am posting this to the b-greek list, since it
is important for me to confess my sins before all, and for others to wrestle
with the additional comments from you.

> There are some nouns that look like feminine, but are masculine, such as
> PROFHTHS. I don't know whether this is because they are derived from a
verb. The
> feminine parallel to this one is PROFHTIS.

It looks like we are left trying to determine if Friberg and Newman are
wrong in parsing EPISKOPH as feminine.

> Sincerely,
> Iver Larsen

Thanks for your help, Iver,