[b-greek] Re: Rising up in Polycarp

From: Mike Sangrey (msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org)
Date: Sun Apr 01 2001 - 16:10:31 EDT

"Alan B. Thomas" <a_b_thomas@yahoo.com> said:
> But may I urge that we give due diligence to the Greeks' intentional
> use of ambiguity, and not reduced it to an either/or proposition
> simply because such a reduction more accurately would reflect MODERN
> thinking.

While I very much appreciate the caution against anachronism, I question
your overall point.

Are you referring to something like `double meaning'? Or do you actually
mean `ambiguity'?

The reason I ask is if a person purposely speaks or writes ambiguously,
then the person does NOT communicate. I more likely believe it is WE who
need to understand, not THEY who need to communicate better.
--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org