[b-greek] Heb. 11:1

From: George Blaisdell (maqhth@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 11:10:48 EDT

I have been away for quite awhile, and I remember not doing well with this
famous definition of faith that begins ESTIN DE PISTIS. That definition
seems to be UPOSTASIS PRAGMATWN, regarding things ELPIZOMENWN, and ELEGKOS
of things OU BLEPOMENWN

So that ESTIN DE PISTIS ELPIZOMENWN UPOSTASIS PRAGMATWN ELEGKOS OU
BLEPOMENWN translates fairly well with, say:

"Now faith is, of [things] being hoped for/anticipated, [the]
foundation/basis of [pragmatic] actions, proof of [things] not being
seen."

Such that the idea being conveyed is that faith is the basis of actions
[of a certain kind, with two qualifiers: hoped for and unseen.]

Am I missing something obvious here? I have never seen it translated this
way...

geo
[George Blaisdell. N.B.: new list-members and returning old ones
are reminded that list-protocol requires a full-name signature to
messages posted to the list. cwc]