[b-greek] Re: Mathew 8:19

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 14:46:09 EDT

At 9:42 PM -0400 4/3/01, Sam Johnson wrote:
>Thanks to everyone who gave me their input on this a couple of weeks ago
>but I have one more question.
>
>The scribe in Math 8:19 AKOLOUTHNSW SOI OPOU EAV APERXN

Make that AKOLOUQHSW SOI hOPOU EAN APERCHi in our standard transliteration.

>Since this ia a 3rd Class Condition how much doubt is there in what he
>says to Jesus?
>Dana & Mantey in reference to 3rd class Condition (specifically EAN)write
>" Its very presence in a sentence indicates lack of certainty on the part
>of the one using it. It warns us not to take at face value what the other
>words may imply. If we but remember that this word whch implies

>uncertainty is used with moods for uncertainty, we are far advanced in a
>proper understanding of it"

The EAN and subjunctive have nothing to do with the sincerity of the
assertion; they are standard elements in any generalizing future condition;
that is to say: the uncertainty regards WHERE Jesus may go, not whether or
not the speaker means to follow,

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu