[b-greek] Re: Matthew 8:19

From: Daniel L. Christiansen (dlc@multnomah.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 16:43:49 EDT

"Carl W. Conrad" wrote [snipped]:

> At 9:42 PM -0400 4/3/01, Sam Johnson wrote:
>
> >Dana & Mantey in reference to 3rd class Condition (specifically EAN)write
> >" Its very presence in a sentence indicates lack of certainty on the part
> >of the one using it. It warns us not to take at face value what the other
> >words may imply. If we but remember that this word whch implies
> >uncertainty is used with moods for uncertainty, we are far advanced in a
> >proper understanding of it"
>
> The EAN and subjunctive have nothing to do with the sincerity of the
> assertion; they are standard elements in any generalizing future condition;
> that is to say: the uncertainty regards WHERE Jesus may go, not whether or
> not the speaker means to follow.

As is usually the case, Carl has given a clear response; I have nothing to add to
that. What strikes me, is that Dana & Mantey actually presents this view of EAN.
When I read Sam's post, I thought that he had to have misunderstood D&M's
presentation. Then, I looked it up, myself . . . that is, indeed, just what they
said. One more reason I can add to my list of why I don't use Dana & Mantey as a
class text.

Daniel
--
Daniel L. Christiansen
Professor of Biblical Languages, Portland Bible College