[b-greek] Re: the use of future

From: Mike Sangrey (msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2001 - 11:28:46 EDT

storch@storchsites.de said:
> in jesus quotation of the commandments he uses very frequently the 2nd
> person singular future indicative (i.e.lk 10:27,mat 22:39). why is
> this form always translated as an imperative?

I have the following definitions in a file. Note the subtle difference
between `imperative' and `future'.

I would be interested, BTW, what others think of these definitions. How
close do you think they are? How would you add to them to make them
more balanced?

  Indicative: From my perspective this exists in reality.
  Subjunctive: From my perspective this exists in my mind, but not in
                reality.
  Optative: From my perspective this exists in my mind, but I have a
                contingent expectation that it will exist in reality.
  Imperative: From my perspecitve this exists in my mind, but I want it
                to exist in reality.
  Future: From my perspective though this exists in my mind, it will
                exist in reality.

--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org