[b-greek] Eph 4:6

From: Blahoslav Cicel (b.cicel@volny.cz)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2001 - 18:36:38 EDT

Hello list,

I have a question about Eph 4:6
Ephesians 4:6
hEIS QEOS KAI PATHR PANTWN hO EPI PANTWN KAI DIA PANTWN KAI EN PASIN hUMIN

to what is hUMIN at the end linked.

It is obvious, that it is explicitly linked to the preceding PASIN. But,
may it be understood as implicitly linked to PANTWN even befor?

It means, it is posible to read it this way?

hEIS QEOS KAI PATHR PANTWN (hUMWN)
hO EPI PANTWN (hUMWN)
KAI DIA PANTWN (hUMWN)
KAI EN PASIN hUMIN

I know that there is a accord of gender case and number expected. But
even in czech (my language) which has a lot of similarities with greek,
it is possible to neglect this rule in the case of cumulation. So in
czech even when it is not the very correct way to say it, it is
accepted. What about greek?

The question arose in the context, where *YOU* (i.e. Ephesians) are
clearly addressed.

Thanks for your opinions.

Blahoslav Cicel
pastor of the Church of Brothers