[b-greek] Re: Jn 20:9, DEI AUTON EK NEKRWN ANASTHNAI

From: John Barach (jbarach@telusplanet.net)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 18:18:43 EDT

Paul wrote:

> Where do they get the "again"? When was Jesus raised previously
> from the dead? Is this simply King James lingo that somehow managed
> to survive in certain modern translations? Is the prefix AN- to be
> taken like ANWQEN whereby the meaning can be "again" (versus "from
> above")?

Isn't that just standard English idiom? We say things like, "I lay down
to sleep but then I had to get up again." The "again" doesn't mean that
we got up once before, but it serves to show the contrast between the
two actions, lying down and getting up.

John

John Barach (403) 317-1950
Pastor, Trinity Reformed Church (URCNA)