[b-greek] RE: dat. in James 3:18

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 11:38:31 EDT

<x-flowed>
Iver:

You wrote:

-------
>Rom 10:20 says, quoting from Is 65:1 "I was found by those not seeking me -
>hEUREQHN TOIS EME MH ZHTOUSIN".
>
>The last example is interesting in that we can compare Paul's words with
>the LXX. Several NT manuscripts, including p46 and B, have EN before the
>dative, although this word is not in the LXX.
-------

This is really not a critical observation by any stretch, but I ran across a
statement like this before in a commentary. Upon further investigation I
found that there were multiple LXX's in existence during the first century.
Many of these LXX's varied noticeably. In fact, several of these LXX's are
quoted in the NT that do not exist today. (This is often appealed to in
resolving the seemingly endless "misquotes" by Stephen in Acts 7.)

I suspect that LXX's were like MSS today. They are many and varied.

Mark Wilson