[b-greek] Re: Jn 20:9, DEI AUTON EK NEKRWN ANASTHNAI

From: Chuck Tripp (ctripp@ptialaska.net)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 16:38:09 EDT

> There is no "again" in ANASTASIS. The preposition ANA
> means UP or UPWARD. Combined with hISTHMI (STASIS),
> which denotes "cause to stand," you have "caused to
> stand upright," hence "to be resurrected." The
> infinitive completes DEI.

The ANA in question is not a preposition but a prefix in a composite verb.
As such ANA can indeed mean again. Example: ANAGNOSKW.

I find it is somewhat risky to rely too rigidly to the formual of
prefix+root word to determine the meaning of a composite verb, particularly
if the verb is a frequently used verb. An example is AFISTHMI which means
to rebel. I suppose if you thought about it long enough you could see how
rebel comes from APO+hISTHMI, but mostly you get that from looking it up.

In the case of ANISTHMI, I would also look to how the word is used by Jesus
et al. to derive the meaning. As to the original question, ANA can indeed
carry the meaning of 'again' when used as a prefix in a composite verb.
Whether this is the case in ANISTHMI is another question. The earlier posts
saying that it is probably a legacy that goes back to Tyndale sounds
plausible.

Chuck