[b-greek] Re: Jn 20:9, DEI AUTON EK NEKRWN ANASTHNAI

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 14 2001 - 19:37:53 EDT

At 2:37 PM -0700 4/14/01, dixonps@juno.com wrote:
>On Sat, 14 Apr 2001 13:23:54 -0400 "Carl W. Conrad"
><cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu> writes:
>>

>> No, not really. AN-ISTHMI/AN-ISTAMAI are the transitive and
>> intransitive forms of a verb that means to get out of (intransitive)
>> or get something out of (transitive active) a settled state
>> (hISTHMI/hISTAMAI means "bring to a standstill/come to a
>> standstill/settled state).
>
>According to BAG only AN-ISTHMI is recognized (no AN-ISTAMAI).
>Furthermore, the futures and 1 aorists are transitive, while the 2nd
>aorist and all middle forms are intransitive.

Well, this is a matter of how best to describe a verb; if there IS an
active form of a verb, most lexica will list that as the main form and list
an intransitive or middle form under that heading. This is simply a matter
of the preferable taxonomy of verb forms.

>> The ANA- adverbial prefix in ANISTHMI/ANISTAMAI does indeed
>> mean "upward", and one of the most common usages of
>> ANISTHMI/ANISTAMAI is to "arouse" (transitive) or "arise"
>> from a lying or seated stance, or "wake UP" from sleep--in fact
>> you could well relate the ANA- of ANISTHMI/ANISTAMAI to the
>> "UP" in "wake UP."
>
>Yes. I assume you mean this holds for both transitive and intransitive
>forms.

Yes, and the only point of my previous post was to object to your assertion
that ANA- in this verb functioned in the same manner as EPI- and that the
semantic sense of ANA wasn't really playing a role in ANISTHMI/ANISTAMAI.

>My original question pertained to the "again" in the "He must rise again
>from the dead" translation of Jn 20:9 (KJ, NKJ, NASB). Most translations
>leave it out, even appear to leave AN- untranslated. It looks like "He
>must rise up from the dead" is preferrable, certainly to the KJ which
>might give the impression this rising from the dead is the second
>occurrence of such.
>
>But, the "rise up from the dead" does seem redundant which is probably
>why most modern translations leave it untranslated.

But the original redundancy of "rose again" is, I believe, idiomatic older
English; it's even in the Apostle's Creed "rose again from the dead."
Redundancy is really part and parcel of colloquial and even much formal
English: Thomas Wolfe's "You Can't Go Home Again" and the immortal "Deja vu
all over again"!