[b-greek] Re: Mk 7:19 and clean food

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 07:46:55 EDT

At 4:11 AM -0400 4/19/01, David Miller wrote:
>Is there any manuscript evidence for the omission of KAQARIZWN PAVTA TA
>BRWMATA at the end of Mk 7:19?
>
>I am told that the phrase does not appear in the Textus Receptus. I know
>that it is not translated in the KJV, but was surprised to find that there
>is no reference to its omission in the textual apparatus of the NA27.

Actually the phrase DOES appear in TR and also in MT but with a neuter
participle rather than a masculine ptc.: KAQARIZON PANTA TA BRWMATA. And it
is this form (with the neuter participle) that KJV does indeed translate,
as "Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth
out into the draught, purging all meats."

Metzger's note on UBS4/NA27 is as follows:

"7.19 KAQARIZWN [A]
"The overwhelming weight of manuscript evidence supports the reading
KAQARIZWN. The difficulty of construing the word in the sentence* prompted
copyists to attempt various corrections and ameliorations.
"*Many modern scholars, following the interpretation suggested by Origen
and Chrysostom, regard KAQARIZWN aas connected grammatically with LEGEI in
verse 18."

There was an extensive discussion of this textual problem on Synoptic-L a
few years ago, back in early 1998? I can't readily find it at the
Synoptic-L archives.