[b-greek] Hebrew or Greek? 2

From: Glen L Naftaniel (glensmail@juno.com)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 18:55:33 EDT

I sent this message before I was finished. Here is the one that I wanted
to post. Sorry about the confusion and redundancy.

Hello B- Greekers,
        I recently received a letter from someone claiming that the New
Testament was written in Hebrew. I had never heard such a thing before.
I am wondering if anyone here could provide any insight. If anyone knows
where this idea comes from or if it has any merit please let me know.
Thank you.
God bless,
Glen Naftaniel
_________________________

Here is the letter:

Many people say the NT was WRITTEN in Greek. The truth is that only a
very small portion of it was (the book of Romans, I think). Linguists
who
have studied it out have almost unanimously concluded that most of it was
not originally in Greek. The four "gospels" were originally written in
Hebrew. This is evidenced by the low linguistic quality of the Greek
manuscripts compared to the high linguistic quality Hebrew you get when
you
directly translate them from Greek to Hebrew. It is also evidenced by
the
use of Hebrew parables, figures of speech, idiomatic expressions, and
teaching methods and concepts (e.g. Remez). This also explains why no
two
of the over 5000 Greek manuscripts used in translating the NT are alike.
They don't match because these 5000 manuscripts are all TRANSLATIONS from
Hebrew. Just as we have differing translations of the Bible today.

All this is confirmed by the fact that the book of Mattiyahu (Matthew)
has
survived to this day in its original Hebrew. It is the only Hebrew text
of
the NT to make it through the fires of the Roman church, thanks to a
Frenchman by the name of Dutillet. This is now known as the "Dutillet
text".