[b-greek] Re: 1 Cor. 7: 10-11

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 18:24:17 EDT

Dear Ben,

>> 7.10 TOIS DE GEGAMHKOSIN PARAGGELLW, OUK EGW ALLA hO KURIOS, GUNAIKA
>> APO ANDROS MH CWRISQHNAI 7.11 - EAN DE KAI CWRISQHi, MENETW AGAMOS TW
>> ANDRI KATALLAGHTW, - KAI ANDRA GUNAIKA MH AFIENAI.

> IMHO Paul here is alluding to a Dominical Saying of our Lord concerning
> Divorce; most likely Matthew 5:32 and 19:9 OUK EGW ALLA hO KURIOS.
> This prohibits divorce and remarriage, except in the case of adultery.
> The non-mention of Adultery here indicates that a voluntary separation
> is meant, not a full legal divorce on grounds of Adultery. Is such a
> separation in accordance with the Dominical Saying? No adultery: no
> divorce?

Why would non-mention of adultery somehow change the direct reference to
the words of the Lord about divorce? They are still about divorce when Paul
cites them. Note the citation about divorce in Luke 16:18:

Luke 16:18 Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another,
committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her
husband committeth adultery.

Jesus calls the acts of divorce and remarriage a type of adultery. So if
the woman leaves her husband, which she should not, and remains unmarried,
then she at least remains free of this sort of adultery that Jesus
describes in Luke 16:18.

(skip)

> "If they should decide to be separated" (EAN DE KAI CWRISQHi) is a future
> possibility, not a past event. Compare EAN DE KAI THS EKKLHSIAS PARAKOUSHi
> in Matthew 18:17. If the woman leaves her husband to engage fulltime in
> Christian works, then let her not be divorced; let her remain as if umarried.
> This is for couples where both husband and wife are believers; the rule for
> them is given in 1 Corinthians 7:5. Let them only abstain from co-habiting
> *for a while* for godly exercises; then let them come together again.

AGAMOS does not mean "as if unmarried." It means "unmarried," and that is
because EAN DE KAI CWRISQHi supposes a divorce. Also, there is nothing in
the context about the husband leaving for fulltime Christian works.

I always appreciate your wise words, Ben, but I think a simpler
interpretation is better here.

                                Yours,
                                Harold Holmyard
                                Dallas, TX