[b-greek] Re: Hebrews 11:4 apparent gender confusion

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 06:51:35 EDT

At 3:36 AM -0400 4/24/01, Joseph Garnier wrote:
>4 PISTEI PLEIONA QUSIAN ABEL PARA KAIN PROSHNEGKEN TW QEW DI HS EMARTURHQH
>DIKAION MARTUROUNTON EPI TOIN DWROIS AUTOU TOU QEOU KAI DI AUTHS ETI
>LALEITAI
>
>Near the end of this is KAI DI AUTHS, and AUTHS being feminine, what may I
>ask does it refer to, because there is no femine word anywhere else in the
>sentence to tie it to, TOIN DWROIS being neuter. In your opinion, what am
>I to make of this? and why? Is it permissible to attach a feminine
>pronoun to a neuter object, and if so, why here and not elsewhere?

Actually there are TWO feminine nouns in the sentence--PISTEI and QUSIAN; I
think that the hHS of DI' hHS must refer back to QUSIAN, and perhaps the
second pronoun AUTHS in DI' AUTHS might also refer back to QUSIAN, but
since the chief subject of this whole "catalog of witnesses" is PISTIS,
"faith," I think it probably makes more sense to understand AUTHS to refer
back either to the PISTEI at the opening of the verse (which in this case
is also the beginning of the rhetorical period, so that PISTEI is assuredly
the first word) or to PISTIS as the recurrent thematic word of the whole
sequence. I think an argument could be made for either of the two
nouns--PISTIS or QUSIA--to be the antecedent of both pronouns, since the
sacrifice is here understood as an action predicated upon faith and
therefore an instance of faith; nevertheless, I think I would prefer to
analyze the structure as I've indicated: for DI hHS the antecedent is
QUSIAN, for KAI DI' AUTHS the antecedent is more likely PISTEI.