[b-greek] Re: Original NT in Greek?(wordplay)

From: Trevor Peterson (speederson@erols.com)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 14:58:56 EDT

It's also worth noting that the Syriac version renders both Greek words
for love in John 21 with the same word throughout. Syriac (a CNE dialect
of Aramaic) does have more than one word for love, and it seems to me they
could pretty easily have made a similar distinction. What that says is
beyond me. Maybe the translators didn't see a wordplay in the passage? I
don't recall offhand (and don't have a copy with me to check) what it does
with Peter's rock, but I would assume it makes no distinction there
either.

Randall, would you happen to have the actual rabbinic citation? I'd be
curious to see how it's used.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics