[b-greek] Re: Petros rabbinic citations

From: Randall Buth (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 13:58:20 EDT

Trevor Peterson katav/egrapsen
>I don't recall offhand (and don't have a copy with me to check)
>what it does with Peter's rock, but I would assume it makes
>no distinction there either.
>
>Randall, would you happen to have the actual rabbinic citation? I'd be
>curious to see how it's used.

Cf: Mt 16 and 'rock' wordplay,

well, what would you think if it said:

When the Holy-One-Blessed-Be-He saw Abraham who was going to stand--He said
Wow, I've found a petra to build on it (fem.) and to lay the foundation for
the world. Therefore he called Abraham "Tsur" (Rock[large]), as it is
written: "Look to the Tsur from which you've been hewn."[Is 51.1]
(Yalkut Shimoni, Numbers 23 [&tav-shin-samex-vav]) See also Sifre, to
parashat Haazinu [&shin-yud-tet].

Or the name: Rabbi Yosi ben Petra (Yalkut Shimoni Genesis 25 [&quf-yud])

Sure, the dating is "anonymous", possibly quite late, but it's still quite
a quote. Just knowing that canoncial Isaiah used a ROCK-wordplay with
Abraham and that petra entered Mishnaic Hebrew is enough to provide for
more than a little surmising.

Shabbat Shalom,
Randall Buth
Jerusalem