[b-greek] prepositional phrase John 16:23

From: Jay Anthony Adkins (Jadkins26438@cs.com)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 09:04:42 EDT

Dear fellow B-Greek Members:

In John 16:23 we read;
John 16:23 KAI EN EKEINH TH hHMERA EME OUK ERWTHSETE OUDEN. AMHN AMHN
LEGW hUMIN, AN TI AITHSHTE TON PATERA EN TW ONOMATI MOU DWSEI hUMIN.

My question is about the last prepositional phrase, EN TW ONOMATI MOU and
its referent. Note the difference between the following translations.

John 16:23 (NASU) "In that day you will not question Me about anything.
Truly, truly, I say to you, if you ask the Father for anything in My name,
He will give it to you.
John 16:23 (NASB) "And in that day you will ask Me no question. Truly,
truly, I say to you, if you shall ask the Father for anything, He will
give it to you in My name.
John 16:23 (NRSV) On that day you will ask nothing of me. {Or [will ask me
no question]} Very truly, I tell you, if you ask anything of the Father in
my name, he will give it to you. {Other ancient authorities read [Father,
he will give it to you in my name]}

While I find a variant reading in the TR it is earlier in the verse;
AMHN AMHN LEGW hUMIN, OTI OSA AN AITHSHTE TON PATERA

To clearly state my questions.
1. Is there a variant reading of which I am unaware?
2. What grammatical rule applies to the prepositional phrase EN TW ONOMATI
MOU and its referent (i.e. which is the proper way to translate it, as the
NASB {New American Standard Bible }OR NASU {New American Standard
Updated}.

Thank you for any help.

Sola Gratia,
        Jay Adkins