[b-greek] Re: Heb. 13:2b

From: Mike Sangrey (msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 16:06:10 EDT

At 6:18 PM +0000 5/4/01, Mark Wilson wrote:
>DIA TAUTHS GAR ELAQON TINES XENISANTES AGGELOUS
>
>I understand that this clause contains an "idiomatic
>usage common in classical Greek" (Vine). Specifically,
>I suppose, the "entertaining of angels unawares."
>
>Can someone help me understand the possible nuances
>of this idiom. My interest was originally to better
>understanding ELAQON, but since it seems it is part of a whole,
>I guess my interest is now what does this whole idiom mean?

FWIW:

I've often wondered why we don't give a little more breadth to
AGGELOS.

Why couldn't this be, "entertaining messengers unawares?"

In other words (and pardon the segway into interpretation, but I'm
trying to shift people out of angel-focus into something a little more
mundane), how many times have you had someone in your home and
sometime later you said, "Boy, that was pleasant, I "was
blessed"/"learned something"/grew/etc. The context is of showing love
to one another. Even now, I couldn't tell you the times I've been
benefitted by those who have visited me. I was unaware at the time
that the benefit would come; but it did.

All I'm saying is we don't have to go and make Angels appear in human
form in order to understand the idiom. It very well may be a quite
straight forward rather natural occurrence. Wonderful when it
happens, but natural, nonetheless.

--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org