[b-greek] Re: 1 Co 14.1

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 19:16:30 EDT

At 1:48 PM -0700 5/4/01, John Lupia wrote:
>John N. Lupia
>501 North Avenue B-1
>Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA
>JLupia2@excite.com
>

>b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu
>

>To: Tom Belt
>
>Subject: [b-greek] 1Cor 14.1: DIWKETE
>
>Hi all-
>
>1 Co 14.1 reads DIWKETE. What's the possibility that this ought to read (as
>it is in the majority of instances) as "persecute" and the verse be
>understood as a Pauline rebuke something like, "You guys are persecuting
>love..."?

Just about nil, I'd say. There follows immediately another word ZHLOUTE
which would appear also to be an imperative, although it too COULD be
construed as an indicative. I think both are imperatives and that the
second imperative, with its object clause (MALLON DE hINA PROFHTEUHTE) is
explained by the GAR clause that follows immediately: "be eager for
spiritual gifts, but primarily to prophesy, because the one who ..." At any
rate, that's my take on it.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu