[b-greek] Heliodorus and ANAKAINOW

From: Jürg Buchegger (j.buchegger@datacomm.ch)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 02:49:32 EDT

Dear list-members,

in my research on the word ANAKAINOW (2 Cor 4:16 - Col 3:10) I found that
(probably he is the author?) Heliodorus Prusanus in his "commentary" on
Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics (In Ethica Nicomachea Paraphrasis; date is
very unsure (up to 1366)) is using the verb. The place in Aristotle he is
paraphrazing is:

Arist. Eth. Nic. X,6 (on happiness (EUDAIMONIA) and the relationship of
happiness to playing/entertainment/ leisure (PAIDIA)): ANAPAUSEI GAR EOIKEN
hH PAIDIA; ADUNATOUNTES DE SUNECHWS PONEIN ANAPAUSEWS DEONTAI; OU DH TELOS
hH ANAPAUSIS; GINETAI GAR hENEKA THS ENERGEIAS.

Of course Aristotle has been translated (in german, and I am sure in english
too) in modern languages very often, but not so the paraphrasis of
Heliodorus Prusanus. This - and because my greek is almost exclusivle
trained in the NT - is the reason why I have a hard time to figure exactly,
what he is saying when he writes (G. Heylbut, ed., Heliodori In Ethica
Nicomachea Paraphrasis, CAG 19,2 (Berlin: G. Reimer, 1889), p 221, line 13):

KAI GAR ANAPAUSIS TIS hH PAIDIA TOIS AGWNIZOMENOIS, SUNECHWS OU DUNAMENOIS
PONEIN, hH THN DUNAMIN AUTOIS ANAKAINOUMENH, TOIS PONOIS AKMHTAS APODIDWSIN.

So, I do understand Aristotle, but I was not able to make a satisfiable (?)
translation for Heliodorus. Remember, he is "paraphrazing" Aristotle in some
way.

Can anybody help me with this?

Jürg Buchegger
PhD candidate BIB, Heverlee-Leuven, Belgium
pastor EFC Berne, Switzerland