[b-greek] Re: Joh 3,3

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 13:37:13 EDT

on 5/11/01 9:00 AM, John Lupia wrote:

> I would like to point out that rhetorical figures are extensions of the
> rules of grammar in their practice and application. I would like to
> suggest, if I may, that in many cases grammatical analysis alone of NT Greek
> is sterile and artificial removing it from the rhetorical rules of
> construction.

I would extend this statement to say "that in many cases grammatical
analysis alone of NT Greek is sterile and artificial removing it from" . . .
followed by a long list of subjects including all of the sub-disciplines
required to do NT exegesis, e.g. literary analysis, history, historical
theology, semantic structural analysis, . . .

If one is engaged in doing biblical exegesis, only about one percent or less
of this activity will fall within the parameters set for discussions on
b-greek and even that one percent will have to be discussed on b-greek as if
it was artificially divorced from all the other sub-disciplines.

This sort of protest has been voiced numerous times on this list and all the
standard answers have been given by the list owner and co-chairs over and
over again. So we don't really need to get into a long discussion about it.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point