[b-greek] Re: Gal. 3:24

From: Michael Haggett (michaelhaggett@lineone.net)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 05:50:09 EDT

Mark wilson wrote (12 May)

>Gal. 3:24

hWSTE hO NOMOS PAIDAGWGOS hHMWN GEGONEN EIS CRISTON
hINA EK PISTEWS DIKAIWQWMEN

>A commentary I am reading states that the subjunctive of DIKAIWQWMEN
is "forced" due to the use of the hINA. Further, this author goes on to
argue that there is no element of uncertainty or doubt here, and suggests
the translation:

>"in order that WE WOULD BE justified by faith"

>What is the Indicative counterpart to the hINA here, and why, if the writer
did indeed mean to not imply any uncertainty, did he not use this Indicative
counterpart?

MH: Perhaps understanding the subjunctive mood in a slightly different way
will help. Of course the subjunctive can be used in many situations, but at
ROOT I would urge people not to think of it as necessarily implying an
element of uncertainty or doubt, but to show that the action is POTENTIAL.

In this instance the parallel would be:
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't MAKE it drink!

Michael Haggett
www.ntgreek.com