[b-greek] Gal. 3:24

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 22:37:30 EDT

<x-flowed>

Gal. 3:24

hWSTE hO NOMOS PAIDAGWGOS hHMWN GEGONEN EIS CRISTON
hINA EK PISTEWS DIKAIWQWMEN

A commentary I am reading states that the subjunctive of DIKAIWQWMEN
is "forced" due to the use of the hINA. Further, this author goes on to
argue that there is no element of uncertainty or doubt here, and suggests
the translation:

"in order that WE WOULD BE justified by faith"

What is the Indicative counterpart to the hINA here, and why, if the writer
did indeed
mean to not imply any uncertainty, did he not use this Indicative
counterpart? (sorry for all those negatives!)
(I am here trying to avoid a theological discussion, so I guess my hope is
that
you "assume for the sake of argument" this commentary's position is a valid
one.)

Thank you,

Mark Wilson