[b-greek] Re: NT passages for memorizing

From: Michael Haggett (michaelhaggett@lineone.net)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 06:40:40 EDT

Wieland Wilker wrote (12 May):

>I am looking for NT passages which are suitable (for students) for learning
by heart. These should be either important (Lord's prayer), good sounding
(to pneuma opou qelei pnei..., axios o ergaths tou misqou autou.) or
otherwise interesting. Train your brain. Suggestions? Favourites?

-----

MH: My top five are:

Jesus Christ is Lord - Philippians 2
Lord's Prayer - Matthew 6
Lord's Prayer - Luke 11
In the Beginning - John 1
The Greatest is Love - 1 Corinthians 13

I have put all five of these on my New Testament Greek Audio Course website,
with the Greek and a rough English translation side-by-side.

What is especially useful is that you can hear the Greek being spoken just
by clicking the diamond symbol to the Greek (if you have RealPlayer, which
is a free download). I've encouraged people doing my course to learn these
passages by heart.

If you go to:

http://www.ntgreek.fsnet.co.uk/ntgreek/f-ind-02.html

or the US mirror at:

http://www.nt-greek.com/ntgreek/f-ind-02.html

you can link to each of these five passages. To get back to the Site Map
again, click the icon in the top left corner.

Apologies for any self-promotion. Wieland asked the question, and I just
happen to agree that reading and memorizing whole passages is vitally
important to get a "feel" for the way Greek works. I think we can all to
easily tend to over-focus on individual words at the expense of the way they
are put together.

Michael Haggett
www.ntgreek.com