[b-greek] Fw: Learning Greek

From: Ted Mann (theomann@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 15:55:39 EDT

Ryan:

As a self-taught student of NT Greek (who has a long way to go), I have
worked my way through several basic texts, and I very much prefer "Basics of
Biblical Greek," by William Mounce (Zondervan). It is, IMO, very well
organized, easy to understand, and part of a series of inter-related Greek
NT resources published by Zondervan. I know others on the list have their
preferences, but I suggest that you at least take a good look at Mounce
before making your final decision. As far as I know, all texts provide at
least some information on accents, breathing marks and punctuation, and it
is necessary for several reasons to learn about them, not the least of which
is that any Greek text you use for reading and study will include them
(unless you only deal with manuscripts,which is quite unlikely).
Personally, I don't see any particular value in learning to speak NT Greek,
although I think memorizing biblical passages in Greek is of value.
However, I would be interested in what other member of the list have to say
about this.

Blessings.

Ted

Dr. Theodore H. Mann