[b-greek] Re: Fw: Learning Greek, how far

From: Dave Washburn (dwashbur@nyx.net)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 09:55:25 EDT

> Message text written by "Ted Mann"
> >Personally, I don't see any particular value in learning to speak NT
> Greek,
> although I think memorizing biblical passages in Greek is of value.
> However, I would be interested in what other member of the list have to say
> about this.<
>
> Well, how does this sound for someone who wanted to master Shakespeare,
> to the point of learning the language?
>
> "personally, I don't see any particular value in learning to speak
> Shakespearian
> English"

A very good point. Memorization is a big part of learning and
interacting with both b-greek and b-hebrew, and the only way to do
that effectively is for pronunciation to become second nature. At
the same time, I would tend to agree that learning biblical Greek
well enough to construct the kinds of artificial, nonexistent clauses
and phrases that we see in some older grammars may be less
than profitable. When I was learning Greek I decided to focus on
what had actually been written down, learn to pronounce, read and
recognize that well and try to gain a reading fluency both silently
and aloud in order to cement the actual text in my mind. In the
Shakespearean example Randall gave, it's definitely important to
learn how to recite the language properly with pronunciation,
cadence, inflection and all the rest, but I don't know of any
Shakespearean actor or critic today who works at constructing
original dialogs in this form of English. I wonder if this was what
Ted meant by learning to "speak" NT Greek?

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"You just keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at."