[b-greek] Re: Learning Greek: utopia

From: Randall Buth (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 07:18:00 EDT

Message text written by c stirling bartholomew
> but I cannot find anyone speaking Hellenistic Greek. Why
>not? No one anywhere on the globe speaks Hellenistic Greek. For this
reason
>I consider the quest for conversational Hellenistic Greek a utopian one.
>Utopia is nowhere and that is where Hellenistic Greek is spoken.

Clay,

Might you perhaps be mixing 'mother-tongue' speakers with 2nd-language
speakers? Would you have said the same thing about 19th-century Hebrew?

Utopia may be just around the corner from your house.
And fortunately, 2nd language learning can take place without mother-tongue
speakers.
But it's hard and needs mutual encouragement.

ERRWSO
Randall Buth
Jerusalem