[b-greek] Re: Heb.1:8 Is Jesus God or is God the Throne?

From: David Thiele (thielogian@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 18:19:50 EDT

I appreciate the concerns (with regard to Heb 1:8)
that have been expressed about getting into
theological discussions on this forum. I have no
desire to do so. (I am unreservedly trinitarian in my
theology).

However, I have a question regarding the Greek of this
verse. By my reading QEOS is in the Nominative Case
and has a Nominative article. How is it possible to
translate it as a vocative? I have always been given

to understand that there is no vocative article, that
is, that vocatives cannot take an article.

From a grammatical point of view I would have thought
Wayne's options 2 and 3 were the only ones available.
Have I missed something.

Regards

David Thiele
Pacific Adventist University